Sunday, May 26, 2013

My crack at a Smokey Joe Smoker - part 1

So a few years ago my friend sent me a link to a website called the The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board.  On the site was a smoker made from a Weber Smokey Joe made by a someone named D.L. Whitehead.  This looked like a neat idea so I replicated it with a few improvements.  First I made it from a single piece of aluminum, a cookie sheet to be exact.  Then a template was made.  I used the charcoal grate to draw the circle then made a the rest as pictured below.

 photo IMG_0172.jpg

Then it was cut out and bent.

 photo IMG_0144.jpg

Holes were grilled in the charcoal area to pass heat.  A couple holes were drilled in the bottom so that it could be attached to the charcoal grate.

 photo IMG_0147.jpg

Next I had to cut the grate out.  I used a pair of bolt cutters as it is what I had convenient.  A Dremel tool, angle grinder or hacksaw would have worked as well.

 photo IMG_0149.jpg

Here it is assembled all nice and clean.  Next time I will show the lid thermometer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment